Dolly Doctor

Girl nearly dies from forgetting to take her tampon out for an ENTIRE 9 days!

Exiting the earth forever.

In a horror story that basically tops ALL horror stories, 20-year-old British uni student Emily Pankhurst faced a near-death experience after suffering from an intense spout of blood-poisoning as a result of toxic shock syndrome.

A lot of big terms that sound a bit intimidating were used so to break it down for you she basically left her tampon in for 9 days (after forgetting she had it in of course) and WE JUST CAN'T!!!

After forgetting about the first tampon she inserted another one, which 9 days later resulted in bloody discharge and a bloated stomach.

"When I finally realised the tampon was in me and I pulled it out it was pure black," she told the Press Association. "It was obviously coated in bacteria. I wouldn't have known what it was apart from the string. It was horrible."

She was rushed to hospital hours later slurring her words and feeling faint, and spent three days recovering in intensive care.

Back to toxic shock syndrome, something that ALL girls should be wary of - it is extremely rare and for every 100,000 women who use tampons, only three to four of them will develop TSS in any given year.

What causes it? Most likely leaving a tampon inside you for too long - changing your tampon regularly, say every few hours, is VITAL. So long as you do that and pay attention to your regular bodily functions, you should be in the clear. But be aware that it DOES happen and has happened in an even worse-case scenario before, resulting in death.

Ah, to be a gal. Stay safe out there kids. XX

WATCH: Barbie now gets her period!