Instead of staying in and watching The Real Housewives on Friday night, I was super fortunate to catch The Veronicas on the Sydney leg of their Sanctified Tour! It’s been 10 years since I last saw the girls perform and I have to say, it was SERIOUSLY worth the wait.
Our favourite Aussie twins kicked off the show rocking it out in coordinating latex outfits as they opened up with a mixture of songs from their latest killer album The Veronicas, as well as hits from their previous records.
Halfway through, the girls stripped it back as they changed into the gorgeous gowns from the “You Ruin Me”clip as they sang their latest hit, followed by an acoustic rendition of “Everything I’m Not”.
With just Jess, Lisa, a guitar and the Sydney crowd, it’s safe to say you could feel a whole lotta love in the Enmore Theatre.
A major highlight of the night was the girls stepping on stage in matching leather jackets with their names and singing their adorable track “You and Me” killing it with their harmonies and pitch-perfect high notes. It was a total case of the awws.
After taking to the stage for a two hours, the encore came around everyone was holding hands singing along to “If You love someone” while Jess and Lisa waved the flags of the causes important to them; The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and the LGTB community.
Despite their crazy international success over the years, it was clear that these humble Brisbane sisters were so grateful to be back on the road and continuously thanked their dedicated fans throughout the evening for their constant love and support over the years.
By the end of the night I had so many #TBT flashbacks as I sung along to the likes of "Untouched" and obviously "4Ever", which was my non-stop-on-repeat jam of 2005. It was a beautiful gig and I can’t wait to see where these girls end up next.
Sometimes I’m just not in the mood to spend a lot of time on my hair. But at the same time, I want to look cute and presentable when I go out, so I tend to experiment with my ponytail. Here's eight easy ways I like to dress up my ponytail:
1. Wrap it with a strand of hair!
-Put your hair in a ponytail like you normally would.
-Take a small section of hair at the bottom of the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic.
-Secure with bobby pins and hairspray.
2. Wrap it with a braid!
-Put your hair in a ponytail like you normally would.
-Take a small section of hair at the bottom of the ponytail and do a regular three strand plait.
-Wrap the plait around the elastic.
-Secure with bobby pins and hairspray.
3. Braid up the side!
-Section out all of the hair from your ear forward on one side of your part, and clip everything else aside for later.
-Proceed to braid up the side by your ear. You can do one braid, two braid, or even three if your hair is thick enough. You can also do any type of braid – fishtail, regular, twist braid, whatever you want.
-Once your braids are complete, combine them with the remaining hair and put it in a ponytail as you normally would.
4. Add some texture on top!
-While your hair is still down, backcomb the top section of your hair.
-Using a wax or hairspray, run some product through the top of your hair with your fingers to add texture.
-Put your hair in a ponytail as you normally would, being careful not to flatten or mess up the top section.
-After your hair is secure, you can also pull up slightly on the top to add more body.
5. Twist back the top!
-Part your hair to one side.
-On the heavy side of your part, section out a 2-3 inch section that goes back to the middle of the top of your head.
-Clip everything else aside for later.
-With your bang section, you can do a french braid or a twist. It helps to backcomb it first for more body.
-Once your braid/twist is complete, combine it with the rest of your hair and put it in a ponytail as you normally would.
6. Add a quiff
-Backcomb your bang area.
-Use your fingers to section out an area of your bangs however big you want your quiff to be.
-Loosely pin it back, being careful not to flatten it.
-Put your hair in a ponytail as you normally would.
7. Turn it inside out!
-Put all of your hair in a low, loose ponytail.
-Once the elastic is secure, loosen the ponytail base even more with your fingers by pulling the elastic outwards.
-Starting underneath, put two fingers up through the base of your ponytail, creating a small hole.
-Flip the ponytail upwards and pull it down through the hole with your fingers.
-Once it’s through, pull it tight and smooth out any bumps.
8. Braid up the back!
-Section out a section of hair that goes from ear to ear and down to the base of your neck.
-Clip the top and sides aside for later.
-Flip your head upside down, smooth the hair upwards and flat, and do a french braid up the back.
-Once the braid is complete, combine it with the rest of your hair and put it in a ponytail as you normally would.
If you get to try any of these fun styles, tweet me pics to my Twitter account.
Have fun girls,
Saturday night was pretty rad. Like, really rad. I’m a hard-core Directioner (Niall’s my fave) so it’s safe to say I was just as excited as you guys to check the boys out in concert. And they certainly delivered.
From fireworks to streamers and a giant, world class stage – they certainly started their world tour on a high. Harry, Niall, Louis, Zayn and Liam played a mixture of hits, including songs from their most recent (amazing) album, Four as well as old-school hits like "What Makes Your Beautiful". We were also treated to a jam in the middle of the concert to "Uptown Funk". Liam had started humming it half-way through and then, all the boys were jamming to the Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson hit. So cool.
One of my favourite parts was when the boys were singing "Little Things "(one of my all-time faves!) where the boys all sang to the camera. But when Niall came on screen, the crowd went wild. Go Niall!
Another highlight? Harry’s man bun. Safe to say, everyone was loving life at that moment. Team that with his golden boots and stopping to chat to fans in the crowd, I think my love for Haz grew about 50 times.
The boys just seemed so down-to-earth andlovely. They stopped to thank the crowd about 10 times, saying how grateful they were for their support and coming along to see them.
In total, they played for over two hours and 23 songs, including an encore of four tracks. “You guys are the perfect audience to start our tour,” said Louis. “You guys are incredible.” The crowd was certainly incredible but I think One Direction were the hero’s that night. No-one left without a huge smile on their face. They were amazing.
Scenario: It’s raining. It’s kind of cold, and your 5:30AM alarm has gone off. Stay in bed? Not today! It’s time to stick to that New Year’s resolution and break a sweat!
We joined the gorgeous Mimi Elashiry for an early dance class for the Free People #FPLetsMove event in Sydney.
The 6:45AM check-in saw us greeted by the lovely Free People Australia team as well as our talented dance instructor and insta-babe Mimi Elashiry.
For the event, dancing-ability wasn’t an issue. So whether you’re a natural born dancer or just follow T-Swift’s queue of doing your own thing, no experience was required!
To get into the workout mood (and to wake up) we followed Mimi in a series of yoga-inspired warm ups which had everyone in a sweat and seriously got the class ready to bust a move!
What followed was the class working on a contemporary dance piece with Mimi and choreographing our own steps.
Half an hour later, the class finalised the movement based routine with Mimi’s guidance and the early morning workout was complete!
To celebrate the launch of their latest Movement workout-gear collection, the bohemian label’s health and wellness event saw activities occurring from Sydney, New York, SoCal, Vancover and London.
Mimi, who has been a professional dancer for 13 years, is a self-made Sydney-based model/blogger who has walked the runway for David Jones, New York and LA.
Did we mention that this 19 year old has a hefty following on Instagram with over 597,000 followers? With her carefree Aussie style and mermaid hair, we have a feeling Mimi is going to be the next big thing.
Meanwhile, check out the inspiring collection of workout gear over at Free People. We guarantee that you’ll feel that much more motivated to go for your morning run.
Words: Samantha Stewart. Images: Kat Parker.
1. Your favourite number is 25. Why? BECAUSE THAT’S CHRISTMAS DAY!!!
2. Your second favourite day is December 1 as in, “Put up the Christmas Tree Day”.
3. The worst day of the year? Boxing Day. 364 days until your feel true happiness again.
4. You constantly remind people of how many days are left until Santa arrives. Why you NEED your frenemies.
5. Your favourite colours? Red and green, of course.
6. Your favourite night-time activity during summer? Christmas-light looking.
7. You have Michael Bublé and Mariah Carey’s Christmas albums saved in your Spotify all year round.
8. Your pets start to avoid you because you constantly dress them up in outfits.
9. You can’t sleep on Christmas Eve because SANTA!!! Eight TV shows we NEED back in our lives!
10. That feeling at the end of Christmas day after eating all the food? Bliss.
11. You just don’t understand those people who can’t or won’t get into the Christmas spirit.
12. You ask your fam what they want for Christmas and they’re all, “Um, it’s August.”
13. You shriek in happiness the first time you hear Christmas music playing in supermarkets.
14. Christmas movies fill you up with all of the happy feels.
15. And sure, everyone knows a Christmas Grinch but bugging them is the best feeling in the world because Christmas really is the most magical time of the year and nothing will dampen your spirit.
1. When you go around to your friend's place for dinner and don’t like their mum's cooking.
2. When you can tell your friend is making a story up and you’re not too sure if you should call her out on it or not.
3. When your friend bails on your to hang out with their boyfriend.
4. When your friend asks if you want the rest of your hot chips.
5. When you’ve got a new dress and couldn’t be more proud to wear it. Alli Simpson'a advice for getting over a break-up.
6. When your friend rocks up wearing the same outfit as you.
7. When your mum comments on all your Facebook pics with, “Love you! Love, Mum.”
8. When you see a pic on Insty of your friends doing something without you.
9. When you spot a cute guy at the shops and try to check him out subtly.
10. When you tell a joke and your friend reacts like:
11. When you’re in bed and you hear a weird noise outside.
12. When you’re on the train and you start to fall asleep.
13. When your mum opens your door to see if you’re studying. DOLLY's Nat shares her favourite places in the world. See all her pics!
14. When you make awesome weekend plans with your girlfriends.
15. When you have your phone's camera the wrong way around.
16. When you turn up to a party and your favourite song comes on.
17. When you’re at the beach with the girls and the boys in the grade above you walk past.
18. When you walk into a room and your parents are having a fight.
19. When you don’t understand what you’re teacher is asking you.
20. When your mum buys you a new outfit which you hate.
21. When you can’t find something in your room and blame your mum. And then she finds it.
22. Walking out of school knowing school holidays are here! 8 TV shows we NEED back in our lives...
My absolute favourite part about Christmas is that when it's that time of the year comes, it’s everywhere you look! Christmas decorations, Christmas carols, Christmas presents, Christmas cards, Christmas trees, Christmas cartoon specials (yes, I still watch cartoons) and best of all Christmas movies (insert heart eyes emoji here)!
It’s not Christmas until you’ve watched a Christmas movie. So, as my Christmas gift to you I’ve rounded up some of the best Christmas movies to get you in the festive spirit.
In no particular order:
1. The Grinch
3. Home Alone
4. Santa Clause 1, 2 & 3
5. Shrek the Halls
6. Jack Frost
7. Mickey's Christmas Corals
8. Love Actually
9. The Family Stone
10. Four Christmases
11. Polar Express
12. The Nightmare Before Christmas
13. A Garfield Christmas
14. A Muppet Family Christmas
15. Fred Claus
16. Christmas with the Kranks
17. The Holiday
18. All I want for Christmas
19. Disney’s Christmas Carol
20. Miracle on 34th Street
21. It’s a wonderful life
22. A Charlie Brown Christmas
23. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
24. Jingle all the way
25. Arthur Christmas
It’s official: DOLLY HQ has a serious case of Christmas fever. Our managing editor Rosie has been humming Christmas songs left, right and centre for at least a month, while features writer Nat organised our office Kris Kringle dressed up as the big dude himself.
So with yesterday marking the first day of December (as well as the first day I cracked into my choc-filled advent calendar), the team decided to look back at some of the awesome Chrissy carols we have loved since, well, forever.
The DOLLY Christmas playlist
“I love ‘All I Want For Christmas’ because it reminds me of my favourite festive movie, Love Actually. I could listen to it 300 times in a row and never get sick of it.” Digital content manager, Liz
“I always loved the Disney’s Family Christmas Collection album. I had it on tape as a kid and we used to play it until it broke!” Fashion editor, Alissa
“I love ‘It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year’. It just reminds me of being in a big department store Christmas shopping with my mum.” Features editor, Jess B
“I would say it’s the theme tune from Home Alone. Yes, I know, not exactly a carol, but it screams Christmas to me!” Features writer, Dani
“‘Jingle Bells’ makes me feel like I’m sitting in Santa’s sleigh, delivering presents around the world. It just makes me so happy! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!” Features writer, Nat
“I dust off Bublé’s Chrissy album every December. I love each song but a special mention goes to ‘Santa Baby’. It’s smooth and gets me swaying in my seat.” Sub-editor, Jacqui
“While all my friends start whinging in October because the shopping centre is already blasting carols, I can’t stop smiling. My favourite carol is ‘Happy Christmas – War Is Over’, because it has such a great meaning.” Managing editor, Rosie