And while we already know this isn’t great for our sleeping patterns, scary new pics have been released by a fire department in New Hampshire which show just how dangerous sleeping with a phone charger next to your bed can be, and giving us a new reason to put it away before hitting the zzzz's.
"Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow," they wrote. "The heat generated cannot dissipate, and the charger will become hotter and hotter."
So how can we avoid waking up to a scorched bedroom?
“Always use an official charger,” says Rachel Rothman, Chief Technologist at the Good Housekeeping Institute.
"To check if a charger is Apple certified, look for the 'Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad' logo," she says, adding, "Avoid charging in extreme environmental conditions — too hot or too cold — and charge your device out of any case, as that can generate excess heat."
Ummmm.. ‘scuse us as we make a quick trip to the Apple store…